Thursday, May 1, 2014

a small rant

Interesting day today. It was a flex day so I stayed home did grades, got labs and 3 month check done. So am felling good that it was not wasted. Have a half day work day tomorrow and a week of professional development before summer truly begins.

Had an email from a student basically asking for a grade raise and it was one of two or three. In all cases these are students who were absent and did not get all the work made up, who did not pay attention in class or seek extra help and often turned in assignments half done.How does one say yes in these circumstances? I said no so got one email back that was rather negative but considering the source, it was expected.

Have I ever raised a grade a point or two? Yes when the student truly struggled , kept trying and really sought help not just answers. I have even frozen grades when a student was absent at the end of a semester due to a real illness. However last minute requests for extra credit on the last day of school do not create a need for me to give you something when you did not do your share in class. Ok readers this is harsh but as a teacher, i will reward a struggler who never gives up doing the daily work over an extra credit wanna be who did not carry the load in the first place. Enough.

Having ranted I wonder if I should post this? It may anger some of my readers but hopefully not many. I really fear for these students if they do not get it together after school. No employer is going to keep them on if the work is not done or not done well. In a job you cannot or I hope you cannot use someone else's work to copy as your own.

So I will post this. If it gets under you skin, I am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment