Sunday, October 11, 2015

October Sunday

The dogs are sleeping, and I am going to use the time to start working on some long put off revisions to some of writings. I have been in a writing fog lately and not much has been done with what I consider major pieces. Not sure why I did not put fingers to keyboard but it just did not happen. But lately the projects have been calling me ,and it is time to return to them.

I do not know how others write but in my case the characters seem to come alive and determine much of the tale's progress.For example in Herb Lore,Tobit was originally to be the boy friend but as he talked became an older man or mentor to the main character, and in a newer project which I rather liked as it was,one of the characters walks the hallways deep in my mind's attic saying the time sequence needs work. Sounds odd I know ,but this is how my writing happens.

Some writers use detailed outlines of their projects. I have tried this but the outline becomes the project and the writing never happens. It does not matter if it is an essay for a class, an article, a memoir piece,poetry or fiction the outlining process kills the actual writing. that is not to say I have no plan of action but wiring it down in outline form before writing does not help to write. Of course, this means rewrites of the piece as I progress but those would happen anyway.So I have no plans to change my method, though I suspect the outline would keep me more on track.

My major projects may never be published, but they exist here and give me much satisfaction as I work on them. I love watching the story develop and the characters become rounded and real.Some day my girls may read them. I hope that they do so they know more about me than they might otherwise because writers do reveal parts of their inner soul even in fiction. This blog also should be a direct route to my personality for them in future years and how I wish I had something like this from my parents. Now on to the projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment