Saturday, January 14, 2012

Watching McClintock and the memories it brings it up.Dad and I went to almost every John Wayne movie together and the ones with Maureen O'Hara were favorites and still are. The scene in this one where she falls in the mud. And the scene where he pulls her to the house in the Quiet Man is another. Guess I love a big assertive man who does it quietly.My dad was big like Wayne and never raised a fist to anyone that I know of but he really didn't have to. One look at the size of his hands and his stature was all it took to make someone think twice, without a growl from him.

Oh he had a temper and he would let it go. In fact he and I clashed often because like himm I too had a temper. To counteract my flashes of temper I learned to knit and would go knit rather than enter a shouting match once I had my say. It worked. He also gifted me with his beleif that one has a right to an opinion even though while in his house you better say it carefully.lol He also never said no you are not capable to me, and I knew he he would support me in my choices.

Mom helped to form me also. She beleieved she could maintain things at home whenDad was on his saales route and she did. She took in borders when I was a child and later worked in the hospital diet kitchen during my high schhool and college years. She also managed theJ P Penney"s womens wear department. During our Missouri farm years, she raised, cattle,sheep, and chickens. I recall taking cream and eggs into Cameron,Mo. to have pin Monday. Once she took in 90 dozen eggs and had to add money to buy feed with money from her purse. We slaughtered all the hens in the next week. Roasters and fryers filled our freezer. Maybe that is why chicken is not my favorite meal today.

Both of them gave me my work ethic. I can not recall when they did not work and recall that Dad took some not great jobs to keep food on the table several times.so that is why I have been an avon lady, newspaper reporter, pizza shhop night manager and teacher. When I think of no job in the future, i wonder how I will fill my time. it will be an adjustment.

Life is a great teacher and many of our lessons come from the people around us. Our parents are our earliest teachers. Mine were great models and I hope my girls think the same of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment