Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday A death in the family

As predicted the dogs had me up at five to go outside like humans they are creatures of habit. So making mass was no biggie and really attendance does my entire week good. There is something about joining others in faith that helps the rough spots of a week smooth out before they even come up. It will be a rough week for my ex's family as they lost one of the twelve early this morning. Jack had a massive heart attack and never really regained awareness after they brought him back. Surgery gave him a minor chance but he had a d andr order so he is gone. The doctors felt he was brain dead at any rate so it is for the best. This is the second of the twelve to go as Wayne went earlier and Ray the beloved in -law is also gone. NOthing signals the passing of time as a death in the family circle even in a circle that you no longer belong to. Jack was the different one of the DeVries. He never married and after leaving the Navy he lived at home until his mother's death. He found her as if asleep in her bed from a massive heart attack. Then he spent years in Omaha with little family contact until he returned to Araphoe. He was gentle and I can recall the things he did for my girls. As an only child my aunts,uncles, and cousins were part of my extended family. Cousins are still here but only one Aunt remains.Mary is in her 90s and up until a few years ago lived on the family farm. Now age has taken a tool on her memories but she still walks the chambers of mine as do my parents and all the others who blessed my childhood and early adult years. Because of them, Ohio and Pennsylvania are still home ground to me. They helped form the person I am. Others grace the walkways of my memories also. Miss Thompson of Minden High School who never gave up proving to me I could do math( needed her inCollege trig), Sister DePores and Father Kazmereck whose personlities and piety impressed me, David Dwyer for his raucous intelligent mind and others who when recalled make me realize that I was blessed to know them. At times I wonder how will I be and who will remember me,but I do not worry much about it as I have no control over others' memories. I am happy to think I have loved and been loved. That is all anyone can ask. Jack, you are remembered and it is with gentle love.

No comments:

Post a Comment