Saturday, April 5, 2014

random meanders

Austin ,Tx this weekend. I have been planning for this for nearly a year. It will be a chance to see Linda Hasselstrom whom I know from my South Dakota years and get to know new epals from the w-e6 writing circle and Doc Cherry. Also I will be a volunteer at the book table with Susan Wittig Albert. A peon to be sure but being able to work with someone whose works I admire will be a treat. I sent a box of gently used books to Peggy Moody for the gift bags, and am taking a chance on sharing a room with a fellow member I have yet to meet. A dream weekend but it will be hurried as I fly out Friday and return on Sunday. I will learn and enjoy. New experiences are such eyeopeners and enrich our lives. They keep the mind young though the body ages.
When I come back, the Prairie winds book needs to be put together and printed ,so the students can have them before shcool is out. This is not an easy task but it is so fulfilling. The kids love being "published", and I love the permanent record of each year's retreat. This is an event I hope to continue when I retire with the help of Jason Khols.
Retire?
That is an interesting concept. I may not be at Buhler, but I still will work at HCC as log as they will help me. I am thinking of setting up a private tutor service or finding part time work as I feel more alive when I have a routine of some sort. Still it may be that the writing will emerge and there is always knitting. Time will tell. I know I am not a napper as my dogs Winston and Zoe are, I am more of a Boba model but hope I am not as yappy.
If I do not write before Austin, the stories will flow when I get back. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment