Wednesday, February 19, 2014

HUMP DAY

YEP it is Wednesday or hump day. Monday we had parent teacher conferences, last night I taught for HCC, tonight is at home, and tomorrow off to a regional EF tours meeting in Wichita. Friday is semi free but Saturday is a political rally if I can make it and Sunday is mass. The first two days of next week repeat this Monday and Tuesday. I suppose I could be busier and I will be the last of March and the first April but right now I am glad for the at home night.


Why do we get so wrapped up in doing and going? Gads! that sounds like Wordsworth's getting and spending. But think about it why can we not say no? I think Americans like to be busy. I know European friends of mine can not understand our willingness of overtime, parttime plus full time work and tons of free time given up as we volunteer for other thankless ( often, not always) tasks. Years ago when my daughters were younger and I was still wed to a worker ( put thatin caps ) farmer,I often met myself coming and going. Funny thing is I loved ,it and now as retirement approaches I wonder what will I do with all the time, but in reality I know from observing retired friends activities will fill the emptied work hours.

To be honest weekends are mine and often I shut the door on Friday and do not really emerge except to walk one of my furry children. I graze for food, but at times I cook, I watch movies on television, knit , and I read in the relative quiet of house with three dogs and myself.Sometimes if I am honest, I am in my pjs the entire time. I find if I do this at least one if not more weekends a month ,I have no need of mental health days during the week. Days such as these allow me to regroup and center myself for another week in the real work day world and its whirl of do this , do that lists.

So like many things in life there has to be a balance to maintain sanity and perspective, mine are weekends with the dogs and me. How do you cope? readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment