Thursday, December 22, 2011

So here I am drinking coffee planning my day. First up the furnance man.Oops need to put the pups up before he gets here.Done! No I am not out of warmth in the house or the heart but both are getting a check up this vacation. Furnance needs it and bonus he will change the filter too. Thanks Linda for making this possible today. Next phone shopping as Verizon has proven way too expensive for Dana and family so we are switching to Straight phone a no contract service. Miriam their exchange student has one and spends hours on phone longer than my daughter and her family with full web for 45 a month. Can not hurt to try it.

He has arrived , right on time. One plus sign for that company. How many times have I been given a time only to wait for hours and have a no show. Another thank you for Linda. She can pass the kudos to her boss. I hope he says it will last a while longer. I know a newer one would be more efficient but do not want to think about it until at least August.

Often the small things such as working furnace,good water, food to spare and decent clothes are overlooked. When I hear people yearning for a Coach bag or a fancy something or other especially when it is a teen who is expecting family to provide it with no part of it at their cost, I sit back and wonder why and how this sense of entitlement comes about. My childhood was not deprived as I was an only child of hardworking parents, but I do not remember the things I had. My memories are rich with the afternoons Dad I went to the movies together, the Sundays Mom and I raced to the finish of the crossword , of her meals and baking, Dad"s old spice( smelling that brings him back to me even today) and his cigars. I remember how I felt secure.loved and cherished because of time spent with me, talking to me and supporting me in my troubles and in my dreams. Now I sometimes wonder if I passed this on to my girls. I recall telling them we had just somuch money for lunch at Mickey ' dees but we had lunch.I remember making their clothes, holding their horses, watching them walk cows, play sports, going to state fair and state track. Then there are the meals in the fields with their Dad and the hired men. None of these really are centered on money though they did cost money. They are full of the pride I felt when they did their best and the warmth of time spent together as we showed dogs, baked for 4 h etc. This is the true richness of life and what warms my heart everytime something brings a memory to mind.

When I said old spice brought my Dad to the room , I meant that. I can actually feel his presence when I smell that aftershave or agua veleva.He was big man--- six foot or better with the bulk of it.
He had a temper and would often let us see it but his anger was never abusive physically or verbally. His love was his main strength; His women felt secure,safe and cherished. Mom was allowed her independence and I was never forced into a preconceived mold. Mom's spirit enters the room everytime I hear a joke I want to share with her and nearly 20 years later I often reach for the phone to call her and share it. NO, I do not dwell on their absence in my life but there are things or moments that make me recall all that they gave me.

Others are missed in much the same way. Grandma James knitting and her blue enamel roaster full of cookies, aunt mary's gardens,Aunt kate's laughter, Grandma shubert's spirit,Anamae's getle smile and spirit, aunt maggie's outrageous love of life and uncle ted enjoying it. Too many to mention but let me say at this time of year those memories are near the surface, They comfort and fortify me. It is my hope that my girls will feel I have left them such strong and happy gifts.

Time to get on with the day. Merry Christmas and happy memories to my readers.
















t


No comments:

Post a Comment