Saturday, December 3, 2011

little things

It is a rainy Saturday morning and I am so hoping there is not a repeat of the ice storm several years ago. But if it should come we tough Kansans will survive as we did once before and even once before that. Nature can vent its grouchy moods on us but it only proves we have the grit to come back and often to come back stronger. Now that is not a dare, Mom N.The moisture is great and welcome it after a dry season.
Last night was sterling proof that the best things in life are simple and mostly free. Old sweaters, old tee shirts,simple food and doing things together gave me tons of pleasure. Mixed ages 12 to my ancient age were laughing together and crafting. I knitted. Tee shirts became scarves and old sweaters became Christmas wreaths. More important the laughter and the feeling of accomplishment filled the room as we shared each other's spirits. From such small things much joy comes.
Most of My Christmas shopping is done. Some gifts bought,some made and some gift cards make up the mix. I may have to ship most of them but the pleasure of sharing what God has given me and of myself is much larger than the money spent and the time it takes to shop and ship.
Possessions are nice. A warm home in winter and more important to me a cool one in the heat of summer, clean clothes enough food to be healthy money enough to pay bills, books to read and something to write with, these are my basic desires. Diamonds, high fashion, fancy cars have never been on my wish list. I guess that is my parents gift to me and my hippie youth showing through.
Sunrises, sunsets, snow, sunny sands, people I feel close to, these are what fulfill me. Last night was one of those simple blessings. The Bible quotes Jesus as saying if you believe you shall not want and even in the 23rd Psalm of the older books says the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want,and I am firm in the belief that this is not only material things but the things of the spirit. It is not easy but since I have decided to let go and let God, life has been much more full and more content.



No comments:

Post a Comment