Monday, July 28, 2014

wondering and writing

Today has been a writing day. Yep, i have been on the key board working. First project, a write up of Iron Horse John Lopez's first hybrid for the coffee table book we are doing. John is letting me see how his mind works whether he is aware of it or not. What a chance to share a creation with an ex- student whose sculptures are in various parts of our nation. Each small write up for the accompanying sculpture picture is a moment of achievement. Really like the fact that I can do this with some ease, Oh I have to mull over various aspects of the material, but the sculpture is the starting point plus John's input. I write it , edit it and rewrite an email it to him for approval.

The memoir is another matter. First there are stories to sketch out, people to describe, conversations to recall and so on. After messing with this off and on, a retreat at Linda Hasselstrom's Windbreak House brought it more into focus. So now I have a format--- before there was me, childhood stories, adult moments are working titles for the sections. what has come to light is that Dad's family was unusually close mouthed and once something was lived it was over with no need to talk about it. Is this the depression era mentality as my ex- husband's family was very similar? Very few table tales form either group. Now my mother's was almost too open; so stories abound. Dad's before me is basically done, On to Mom's stories. This book is good for me and may only be read by family but that will be enough.

Memoir's are tricky. The truth as I recall an event may not be how someone else recalls it. This was evident when i sat listening to stories at my Aunt Anna Mae's table. The story reported the basic facts, the viewpoint of the story teller change the details, the tone and sometimes even the ending. So for those who read these stories, remember they are from my viewpoint as I saw them or heard them. Read them with this in mind and enjoy.

Of course, I am writing this blog. I really do not know my readers but audience members have been from Germany, Poland, France and China as well as the good ole USA. At times it is a rant on the world, sometimes it is an attitude count your blessing adjustment but more often it it just musings like today. Over 5000 views on the 180 posts amazes me.Thank you for reading and feel free to comment on it. I can read French and Spanish and guess at German.

Next up on word is Herb Lore a fiction piece I have been working on for several years on a come and go basis. Now I have decided to really spend some time on each day and may be actually finish it. Also thinking about a book featuring my three fur footed live ins. so yes writing occupies me.







No comments:

Post a Comment