Tuesday, July 8, 2014

windbreak blog

Ok this is a bit of a cheat but here goes and it is not complete. more later.

As I arrive at Windbreak, Linda greets me. No awkwardness reared its ugly head and it was refreshing to realize I know this woman. We met years ago during retreats for teen writing, re-met in Austin this spring and now I am here eager to let her writing wisdom help me become better. It is no easy thing to lay yourself and your work before someone else’s eyes but they do not wear creator’s blinders so the things found can only help.

The silence here is amazing--- no sirens, no police whooping, no children screaming while playing in the summer streets and o music blasting from passing cars or neighborhood porches. I welcome it and I wonder, can I work in it.
There is a storm coming and the alert radio keeps reminding me. I tend not to worry about storms but perhaps I should. The alert seems to say we might be on the edge of the real event.

Supper and discussing life and work. Good conversation can make a person comfortable. I have written six pages, not sure how good they are but they are done. I must remember what is rough can be polished.

The storm is here. Heavy rain, thunder, lightening and thunder play in the prairie sky It is not a dangerous storm—no hail, no tornados. Rather it is a reminder of nature’s might and our inability to change it. So I listen to the rain and love it.

6/28/14
I awoke this morning just as light began to fill the sky. Breakfast is over and I begin my first assignment. Linda will be here at ten. Now I am the student once again. Life has a way of keeping one alert by changing one’s position in the cosmos.

It is now three (MDT) in the afternoon and Linda is gone until the morning. I am left with her comments and ashamed that I have not caught homophonic errors and typos in what she has had to read. Some but probably not most have auto corrections that I did not see. Shall have to be better at that while I am here and going forward. Her comments are right on and she left with the one on my father she prompted at our morning meeting. I need to do one on my mother, which I am finding difficult. Why is this I wonder? When I do get it done perhaps part of that why will be answered.

At any rate coffee beside my plate, I am pondering what to do. Re-work something using her comments or write something new such as the mother sketch, it is my choice. I have time to d both. Where to start? I think I will just drink my coffee and ponder that point for a while. Beside the laptop needs recharging. Any excuse, right?

Laptop is at 97% enough for tonight. It is 5:09 MDT and the sky has darkened. Thunder breaks the silence, and for the second time today rain is on the way. Linda’s event tonight was to be outside. Their plans must change. My writing awaits--- Mom or a re-working. Still undecided but I will try Mom as my supper eggs boil and the thunder rolls outside.





No comments:

Post a Comment