Wednesday, March 27, 2013

flavorings recipes from life, cleo coyle, and Susan Witting Albert

Bailey's Irish Cream as an ingredient is delicate but sin in a bottle. I have several recipes calling for it--- a cheese cake, and icing on top of Guiness( yes Guiness)cupcakes but my favorite is the newest--Bailey's Irish Cream Coffee Poke cake. It is so easy. first enhance a cake mix , then wen cool poke it and top with a glaze of coffee and baileys and then bailey flavored powdered sugar Frosting. The recipe can be found at mysterloverskitchen.com. Calories galore,moist. sweet lush what other words can I use.To save my a1c results and hips, I took this to Yarn.

Another recipe favorite is from the Darling Dahlia series. It is a molasses cookie that is close to my gran's.Sweet yet spicy, it is best made in smaller cookies and is just the thing with cold milk. I do admit to stumbling on a variation that I like. Once when short on some of the spices it calls for I used pumpkin pie spice and it was great. Susan's books always have good eats in the back and they are not the usual ordinary ones just as Cleo Coyle's in the coffee house series are taste tempting and new twists. by the way the cake mentioned above will be in her new book.

Another cooking author and great read is Joanna Fluke's series set in Minnesota. No wonder I have hips. Reading these books sends me to the kitchen and ten to Yarn or to school with the results. I really do not think anyone minds.

Growing up the kitchen was a safe place. Gran's always had a blue roaster full of cookies. The molasses one, and orange flavored sugar cookies with a orange flavored glaze and my favorite raisin filled rounds that melted in the mouth. Mom baked but her true talent was found in mealtime comfort food. Her meatloaf and pot roast are memories that I have yet to be able to reproduce or maybe I actually have and they lack her jokes to be perfect. Beef Stew and mac and cheese just mentioning those words fills my mind wit memories of petite tornado that was my mom. I have inherited her love of coffee, kitchens, sardonic humor but not her love of house work.

Before I leave this page , I have to mention The Old Black Witch books of my girls' childhoods. They loved the pumpkin bread chick full of raisins and nuts baked in one pound coffee cans and the cranberry bread recipes featured in the series. While the oldest more an outdoor gal as she grew up, all three are good cooks but I do not remember teaching them. Genes, observation and 4h must have done the deed.

If you want recipes, I will share,or you could read te books.



No comments:

Post a Comment