Saturday, November 21, 2015

holiday musing

  Tis the season-- for gifting, eating, decorating and memories.  For me  personally many of the seasons sights and sounds trigger memories both good and bad. What are those triggers?
 
  First cardinals and I have written about this before. Still it is worth revisiting. My Grandmother James loved these birds, and all the cardinal in the snow posts in social media and on the cards bring her to me. Even now I am drinking coffee from a cup with a cardinal one of may daughters bought me last hear at this time because she she knew what they meant to me. As I write, I can feel Flossie's spirit near me. She is dressed in a flowered house dress and apron, her hair pulled into a bunt the nape of her neck  smiling at me. Her support of me, her letters during my life, her quiet love gave me courage when I needed but it was not until after she passed that I realized how much that meant to me. So often this is when we realize what someone has quietly gifted us with while they lived.

Second  all the recipes that appear on television, in print and in my memory bring my mom to the foe front. Yes she was strong and possessed a wicked sense of humor but for some reason The recipes of the season have her behind me as I cook her recipes. She was a master candy maker--caramels, divinity, pecan log roll, even sugar eggs with dioramas inside. I can remember these but they off my list of possible edibles if I want to keep my A1c numbers low. Her bierocks, her gravy,  but especially her cranberry sauce are possible to put on my table. Though I will never reach the quality of her cooking magic she serves to inspire my efforts and her spirit is with me as I stir and mix.

Third  the smell of Old spice  or anything near that smell  invokes my father. Roy's large presence and comfort means so much to me. I actually believe he sits on the edge of my bed when I have a troubled night to say,"It  will be okay, katie." No, he was not perfect because no one is ,but he was to me. He gave me John  Wayne movies, a skeptic's view of life and in no small way the ethic that makes me face and go through trouble.( Mom did that also.)

Children during this season brings up the joys of Christmas past when my children were little. Their surprise and delight with gifts large and small --even clothes. The time BobAnderson dressed as Santa was knocked down and almost out when he woke Bud up abruptly. The girls were sure Santa would not bring them gifts that year. The year they bought their dad a shooting game, but it never did work. They were so disappointed but Bud made them feel happy that they had tried. Too may others are stored in my mind to put in this post, but they all enrich my life.

Not all the memories this time of year are happy. Mom passed the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in the midst of a snow storm. I  am not sure she knew it, but all her girls(Myself and my daughters)  were there before she left us. Every year this day,  though the date is not the actual one, is emotional to me.This year I do not have to work and do not have to keep the tears held back if they come. I can and will just honor her memory by recalling all that she did for me.

In December three of my grandparents passed.the one I recall the most ( My grandfathers died when I was very young)  was my Grandmother Shubert. She died on the 18th of December while I was in college and unable to go back to her funeral. This little lady(4"10" if she was an inch)  had been  the inspiration of my travels because she had come from Newcastle on the Tyne and I made a vow to go there. I did so not many years later and went on to visit Granddad's german homeland also.

So this season is one of memories and making new ones with descendants. It is the richest season of fellowship , food  and loving. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment