Tuesday, August 19, 2014

two days until

Two days or rather what is left of today and all of tomorrow then it is back to a daily set routine. I will be teaching from 10 AM to 3:30 plus one night class this semester. In October I will pick up another night class until December. I am ready to go back. Yes, age wise retirement should be my goal but the classroom makes me alive. So back I go until the kids no longer relate to me;so far that luckily has not happened.

Also a daily routine gives me a focus. that means I am less likely to stay up all night to read a book which I did last night.Summer is a relaxed "me"time but to be truthful I am to push myself to accomplish anything.During the school year the routine gives me boundaries and I use my free time better. maybe this is true for others?

Friday is memoir session 2. Never sure how many people will be there but it is a fun night for me. It is my firm belief that we all have a story to tell and a memoir is a way to tell it. While some may say life or my life is ordinary,
but in truth no one not even identical twins will see things exactly the same. Telling your story leaves a legacy for your family and perhaps for more people than that. Watching people write their story , helping them do it , and seeing the result excites my mentor soul.

Speaking of memoir I am in the throes of writing mine. No extreme dysfunction such as drugs, alcohol or abuse exists so it is more a collection of the funny and sad events that were relived around the supportable when the family gathered. It amazes me how one memory spurs another and a pattern emerges. Also questions arise and only some of them can be answered. So I am seeing my life, my relatives, and my friends in a new light and realizing while my life is not dramatic it is and has been incredibly rich. When done I will see that each of my girls gets a copy and even perhaps each of their children so they will see what makes me up. Still a caution if you try this route, remember we see things through our own filters and that influences how the story is told. Make sure your potential readers understand that.

Enough for now. I have set a daily goal for my memoir and/or fiction work and I must get to it. Later readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment