Sunday, May 6, 2012

mother's day

Mom's day is next week and i have a mission. I always give the daughters a small gift as without them this holiday as no meaning. Last year it was here and gone for some reason and no gift. This year I am at least thinking about what to do. With a week to go it had best be quick. Ok, if they read this it will be no surprise but am thinking quickly knit dishcloths. These rather mundane gifts can also be face cloths, and they wear forever.

The holiday always brings my mother to the front of the memory log. She was such a powerhouse packed into five feet of woman.The seventh child of immigrant parents she knew how to survive. She could can,sew.crochet and manage money like no other. She knew how to hold a job and how to give love. I was the recipient of that love, and it was not of the sugar sweet gooey variety. Love was a short spelling of discipline. She had expectations but no lectures. If I goofed, I knew it but not once did I feel that my mistake lessened her love. Her sense of humor must have been born out of her family's adventures as she grew up.She loved life and lived it well.

Oh, she did things that bothered me. What mother doesn't. If she made up her mind,it was made up. At times we clashed and for some it made loving her hard. Still I can only hope my girls can have gifts of the spirit from me like those she left for me.

Being a mother made me understand her.From the moment they were put in my arms, I became protective of them. Yet because she knew when to let go and let me make my mistakes, I tried to do the same for them. It is not easy to do this,but we have children for the future and if they are to succeed, we cannot tie them to our past.

So on this Sunday I have one of her meals in the crock pot(green beans,potatoes and ham hock) ,and I am drinking strong coffee in her honor. As i begin the dishcloths, memories of her love and laughter will fill my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment