Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Oceans, and surprises--gators and such

 It is a bit cooler today and that helps. Heat index is lower also. I could go to the library but have things  to do here. Packed another box.Going to put some things for sale on line.  Tomorrow I train to be on the election board the 7th of next month. Saturday I judge 4H photography in McPherson. Next week is semi clear--- only one set date August 1 school enrollment. I am working it so I can help with non English speakers.

 School will start and the busy season begins. Work every day and some nights for the college. Many at my age do not work nor do they want to do so unless they have too. I find work stimulates me and keeps me focused on things other than myself. It keeps me involved in the world outside myself, and I feel that keeps me younger than my years.

 Also I can still accept change. Oh there are some things I cannot change  or to be frank do not want to change. I will always write and read every day. I need these activities as they keep me focused and learning. However  I see change for the most part as positive. I am about to make the step to fulfill a dream to live near the Atlantic shore. While it is farther south than I dreamed of as it will be in Georgia not the New England area that initially stirred  my soul. It will be warmer ,but the sea is still more grey than blue there.  I may miss the true winter Kansas and will trade blizzards for hurricanes. But as my daughter Dana , my companion in this new home, says you get a warning for hurricanes.

 Darien  the town is a place where the shrimp boats are moored. Fresh seafood will be a delight Peaches and Vidalia onion stands are nearby. Southern life has those aspects and also some surprises. Right now,Dana and the wildlife department are hoping the two small gators in our pond will finally allow themselves be trapped and not just eat the chicken used as bait.  Gators are hard to kill and killing one is a 10,000 dollar fine.Living in the rural area of the the town may allow such visitors, but it something Dana wants. Her job sone that requires lots of personal contacts and  at home the less people or the better.

 If here is one thing that niggles at me, it is will I be able to work there? If not, will I be able to volunteer as I need to do something. My life goes better if I am busy. Summers with no  regular schedule  relentlessly remind me of that. They allow me to out off things that need to be done as there is always tomorrow. It is one of my greatest vices.

 Such are my thoughts as the summer closes down and school approaches.enjoyed the ease of summer but will glad of the work until December.




No comments:

Post a Comment