Wednesday, March 5, 2014

thinking

My story circle writing group gives us prompts every month. Some months they elicit an immediate response and the keys fly as the writing flows; other months they require some time to brew a product. So far March has been a brewing month. Several ideas are in the simmering stage but nothing is complete. However they all have an ingredient in common a life change moment. There have been several but nothing is as dramatic as Carol's which she posted today about the the change Vatican 2 wrought in her life.

Moment one was when I became a catholic. Know that saying as the twig is bent? Well it is true. Catholic school with its rosaries, masses, novenas and stations of the cross made up my early years.Yes there was Lutheran Saturday school and for years that was my choice as it made less demands on me as a member.Yet years later during a divorce I was spiritually empty and an invitation by a local priest had me go to mass. It was like coming home to a warm blanket ad hot tea. So here I am catholic even though not a perfect one by any means; much of what my mother I insisted I do to understand her family is now the spiritual haven of my soul.

The second moment was motherhood. Three girls filled my life with a reason for living, and they still do. There are days I am not really in touch with them due to distance but they are always part of my life. Each one is unique and each one gives my life unique blessings. Watching them grow was an emotional roller coaster. I hurt when they hurt, felt pride when they did well, got angry when they got stubborn but never once stopped loving them and even after all these years the ride is much the same but not quite so rapid.

Other moments working as a reporter, working at Powderhorn Pizza, as an Avon lady and the career, I love teaching. I always come back to it. Can I pick a moment when I knew teaching was it for me? No, it has always just been there, and I have been at since I was 20 on both the college and high school levels. My travels have given me moments to write about, but are they important enough for the prompt that is simmering in my brain?

Guess that is where I will leave it for now.One of these will develop into a full boil by the end of the month and with a few added ingredients a dish can can be served. Time to leave as the cooking metaphor is getting to be a bit too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment