Friday, March 28, 2014

stitching.

Savant Weekend at last you are here and I am so ready. A weekend at at a bed and breakfast with good pals, good food and KNITTING. As close to paradise on earth , you can get. Then in April Story Circle Network's conference-- a weekend with fellow writers, bloggers and old and new pals. Another mini- Eden to enjoy. Life can be so darn tooting good at times.

Knitting ( or crocheting or sewing if you must) is for me a therapy. It calms my restlessness and keeps my mind sharp.( No joke here following those patterns can be he--!).
Even more that those aspects stitchery to me is a symbol of the inner connections of life.Stitch by stitch made with string and two sticks a garment emerges. Is not life like that? Decision by decision a life emerges. Even those dropped stitches and bad decisions can be repaired so the garment or a life can be made whole.

Whatever stitchery a person does, a pattern is a necessity, and so it is with life. We follow or deviate from the pattern. The pattern? It is a person or belief that guides us when we are reaching beyond food and drink. We can follow the pattern step by step and emerge with a perfect copy or we can deviate a bit and have a unique result. In stitchery deviations are not always useful but in life they make all the difference. I had good role models and they laid the basic foundations of work ethic, moral basics, and social conscience but then I did my own thing or things. I studied languages, went abroad, moved from state to state and other such things. So the fabric of my life is warp and woof a material of my own making.

Knitting also is a constant reminder that a whole is made of its parts, by the knitting and purling one does. We are a product of all that goes around us. My grandmother knit, my mother crocheted, my daughter and granddaughter crochet. Just as skills are passed on one generation to the next so are cultures. Because I knit my world has become broader, Persons have entered my life bringing their own viewpoints on the craft and on life and thus enriching my knitting and my understanding of those around me. This is as Martha would say:" a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment