Monday, September 24, 2012

knitting lessons

Waiting for the repair man, it is Monday and I am not in school and he is not here. emailed him last night and talked to him at 8,>M. this morning. Wondering now if I will get to parent teacher conferences. I am not really patient o this type of thing. I want it done now.Guess I will have to offer the wait up as a lesson in living with things you cannot control. We all need schooling in this are at times.

Knitting teaches me this lesson every time I pick up my needles. It takes time to produce a garment and it takes patience to do it right. Of course like all knitters i usually have several projects going so I can switch from one to another. Believe me boredom does not produce patience. At the moment I am doing a wingspan scarf and two sweaters. There are two things on needles that I have laid aside more less permanently, but I console myself that I can do them when I fully retire.

Knitting has taught me fellowship. At Yarn everyone is welcome so teachers, teens,men, spinners, and old babes like me sit around a table needles clicking and tongues talking. Ideas good and bad are explored about life and of course projects. each one teaches one also. few leave that place not feeling renewed and cared for.Andrea the Knitting savant and Shannon the owner have the knack of blending groups and making individuals feel good at the same time.

Knitting has taught me pride in my work. Binding off a project signals its end and my feeling of accomplishment. Even with my individual variations( others may call the errors) I have achieved a goal and there is innate pride in that.

My grandmother James taught me to knit> Little did she know the gift she gave me. Each stitch I knit is a bitof gratitude to her and brings her nearer in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment