Friday, January 1, 2016

NEW YEAR

It is here -- the new beginning. Resolutions written, new hope formed, all the things a new year promises. I am not going to write about these.Too many people do it. Too many resolutions created to last  a week or a month until the old routine creeps back into our life. For those that stick to them,I praise you. I usually just say to stay healthy, active, and connected to people and I do that normally so it is easy to keep the list.

However I did decide to do two things I think I can cope with during the year. One is the jar. Each day I deposit in the jar  the amount of money equal to the day's number. The first penny is in. The last day is 3.65 cents. Sort of a home grown Christmas fund. Another item I intend to do is to purchase a gift card each month--- visa or store  and save it to spend next December.Might be a 10 card at a store or a bigger amount visa. Another year end bonus. One daughter shops at Target for staples as they often offer gift cards with such purchases. She saves those. I think ,I may have to check into those.

Today  has always meant pork and kraut for luck during the year. Not sure about the luck but the memories of eating the lucky food with my mother are strong. If we had money, it would be a pork roast cooked lowly smothered in kraut; if not ,it might be pork and wieners. This year I forgot to get the ingredients. Hm! What to do??  Solution Ham and Kraut pizza from Gambinos in South Hutch. So that is covered.I can do this as I live alone and only my palate needs to  be pleased.

Also I have Dana Stabenow's rustic bread on its second rise.  I love this crisp crusted peasant bread. Easy to make its 24 hour first rise works well with my school day schedule---mix it up Friday morning and bake it on Saturday and it requires no kneading. Here is a link to illustrated  directions and let me say she has others just as good. The lady needs to do a cookbook.https://www.facebook.com/danastabenowauthor/posts/870110663017233

That's all for today folks. Here are my best wishes for a great long yea 2016. Yep it is a 366 day year--cause it is leap year. Sadie Hawkins runners on your mark.


No comments:

Post a Comment