Wednesday, June 5, 2013

daily things.

Thunder played in our skies last night.Accompanied by tapping raindrops , it was a welcome natural melody. Our land has been dry so long that these last rains have been more than welcome. Lakes are refilling. Yards are greener. Rain must have some quality not found in irrigation and sprinkler systems when they water.

I planted some new hybrid hollyhocks which are growing well but not the tall spikes that I remember from childhood. Grandma had them and my cousins and I made ballerinas from the blooms by turning upside down. Has anyone else done that? I am aware they self-seed passionately but my yard needs color near the fence line so self-seed they may for a year or so.

Such small things can give so much pleasure. The smell of the mornings first cup of coffee, the warmth of freshly buttered toast, the crispness of the new book's pages ( were you looking for another food), can fill my day with goodness and thankfulness for being here and present in life.

Being present is not an easy thing. So many of us are always looking forward to the next event. the next new and better possession, the next whatever that we do not sense what is good in life right now. It is a zen thing -- being present, but it is also Christian. If we accept our belief ( zen or other) we can sense the good in our lives and leave off the constant search for what do not have even if it might not be the best thing for us. We do not have leave off striving for things but we learn to do what we can and leave the rest to Him. It takes practice to say Let thy will be done and realize that he does what is best for us in the long run

This summer I am not teaching the first one in many years. Mornings are lazy though due to the dogs they begin a bit earlier than I wish. I am reading,knitting and just living. Not one hour is planned unless I choose to go to an event. Meals happen when they happen. Cleaning when I feel like it and I am finding I actually get more done. In a sense the routine of the school year gives me a structured life that I enjoy but this free will living is good also.

Winston is begging for attention.More later.



No comments:

Post a Comment