Sunday, April 7, 2013

thoughts on a lay self-indulgent weekend

So the dogs are quiet for the time being. Winston has played himself out tossing ad honking his toys. Now he is flat on the floor preparing to sleep. The chihuahuas are at the window near me protecting the house from passing birds and a feral tomcat. the world is as it should be.

Saturday morning I wondered down to breakfast at the Bluebird book store.It was a treat as some fifteen of us were discussing existing book clubs and book clubs yet to form. Nice to see so many readers though there was only one male in the bunch. readers still exist and life is good.After that off to the Hutchinson's cash mob's visit to Benton's Greenhouse. Neat place to visit and i bought some plants for my English cottage garden dream. Austin came and planted them so the double hollyhocks( I know they are prolific self seeders!) lavender and a dark( almost black) leafed ground cover. The holly hocks are by the wood fence, and I am considering more of them. Lavender and ground cover are around the base of a large tree. I need some poppies, trumpet vine, heliotrope , and shrub roses. I want a riot of colors but fragrance is a major focus. Any suggestions are welcome.

Friday brought an unexpected pleasure. Andrea invited me to go with her to the Fox for the Hot 8 jazz band.Wow what music and they played nearly 2 hours with only a 10 minute break. Going home the music was still playing in my head.On Saturday I found that Kris had given the tickets to Shannon and Marlo who had a celebration of an esquire addition to Marlo's name so they gave them to Andrea and she shared them with me. A lucky chain of events gave me a night to remember.

Today I planned to knit but the needles have not yet clicked. Mass first thing this morning renewed me and since then I have read,played solitaire and helped a grandchild with a paper.After talking to my daughter who is unusually leveled headed about her brood, I truly believe this teacher did not do her job. everything began with according to or in the article which is okay in MLA but not every sentence. Even Sara some 20+ plus out of high school knew that paraphrases did not have to be written like that and in text citation is needed.so we talked about it and she said 5 -6 students had the same problem and had to re write today but teacher would not let them get their papers to use for the rewrite. i have a feeling the instructor did not go over end of quote and paraphrase citation because it is not easy to teach. Also why was it not corrected on the rough draft or during a teacher consult.The paper was not an A by any means but I think it was the teacher's fault as well as Becca's--- especially since others were in the same boat and over half the class of seniors is flunking.Enough said!!!

This evening Call the Midwife and Masterpiece's Mr Selfridge with Jerry Piven are on PBS. Vikings on History will be taped for later viewing. dogs will be crated ear;y and needles will clack as I view. I should be able to finish the button bad and weave in ends of my bohus which was successfully steeked.

Oh yes the house needed dusting and such but I said this was a self-indulgent weekend so it will be doe during the week, why self -indulgent? Sometimes one has to become a bit of a spoiled creature to not worry about what must be done but what should be done to revive the inner spirit, hopes and viewpoint. It is the end of a shortened school year, the ids are done, senior presentations need to be judged, finals created and graded,professional days to be done and in general many must do in a few days. None of them of onerous but they have to be done. So this weekend though not originally planned to be a for me time turned in to one. I am relaxed and the frustrations of a busy time are lessened. my engines are tuned and revving I can make it to the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment