Wednesday, March 7, 2012


Driving to school in the am is a good reflection time. Today my thoughts were around people who are unwilling to change or to see somethings happening around them. What brought this on? The letter from son-in- law Andy. He is out of the USA for the first time and commented on the contrasts between have and have not's in the third world. what an eyeopener he is experiencing.

So what thoughts does this inspire? Well I live in Kansas. does that give you a clue?
So many here are quick to condemn the different be it race, religion, culture , or beliefs that differ. Not republican? Oh oh. change the way something has been done for years even though the changing world demands ? Nope it makes things uncomfortable so do not do it until there is no choice and then pout. Now I am older and have a right to be set in my ways but I do hope i remain flexible and ready to accept change when it is necessary.

Many of the teens I teach are confident that life is what it will be the way they think it is ( or should be.) They expect to have every new tech toy, every labor saving device when they set up house, sexy fast cars, and the ideal job that will pay them well even if they do not show up or do what they are assigned. Even now it is not their fault that they do not get scheduled hours after calling in or switching nearly every time they were scheduled. Life will shake them up a bit.

It amazes me but really not much that the post high school schooling is never completed for many reasons. !. they did not go to class, 2. dumb teacher did not take late work, and this is the best 3. I already know more than the teacher so why go. Often it our high school brightest have these problems. In part I think because we do the things that prompt the attitude but hopefully not the last one. Absences and late grades are allowed and I have even done it when I understand why in my high school classes --less so in the college level classes.

Having traveled in Europe and third world areas, I think I am less apt to judge a person on material possessions etc. My judgement comes form how we treat each other and others. It is hope a fairer basis on how to judge.

At the moment I am stressed about the statements I hear that support the high income earners over the average man. I am not a fan of hand out welfare but I am astonished when I hear statements about Pell grants being welfare and only the very brightest need think about college and so. the legislative attempts to set morals by law --- vasectemies not allowed in Georgia if the bill passes, etc is fueling my fire. Make a law about moral choices and breaking it is almost a requirement to feel independent and human. Remember how well prohibiton worked?

Just saying we are no longer citizens of state , we are citizens of a global world and so there will be changes in the workplace, in our lives. We need to be able to decide which ones move the world forward , make work easier,etc, open our minds to concern with and for others and make the right choices.






No comments:

Post a Comment