Thursday, March 8, 2012




One of my ex students posted on facebook she was reading Keats and I was reminded of hos Ode to A Grecian urn which talks of the timeless endurance of beauty. Look at the Clara Bow and Bette Davis shots. Despite the passage of time and fashions, these women are still or if alive would be deemed beautiful. their faces are constructed so the eye sees harmony and that is beauty, Outward beauty anyway.

Far more important to me is inward beauty and it too is quickly recognized though it can not be preserved by photos. A person who knows themselves and is true to their beliefs is beautiful despite the size of their eyes or lips or the placement of their nose. Inner beauty is character.
Outer beauty is an accident or a gift of the genes. It matures as the body matures and fades with the body in many cases. Think of davies in her later years When she was almost a comic version of herself. Character to comes with maturity but more important it comes from the choices we make in life. we become what we do and often from whom we choose to follow .

My daughters and their families are beautiful physically in my eyes but it is the people they are and still becoming that give me pride. I only hope that they return the compliment to me.













No comments:

Post a Comment